This is why we like the Magic Your Way plus Dining (I'm going to use DDP for short.). Does it save us money? Not really. With our DDP, we get one snack, one quick-service meal, and one table service meal per night of our stay per person. With each table service, you get a drink, an entree, and a dessert. With each quick-service meal you get a drink, an entree, and a dessert. Snacks are varied by park and by restaurant/kiosk. So why doesn't it save us money? Because in reality, if we were to go and eat at a restaurant, I would order water, an entree, and no dessert. If we did order a dessert it would be for all of us to share. If we had planned on going to a restaurant and each ordering a dessert, then I guess technically it would save you money.
So if we don't save money, why do we do it? Two reasons:
- Convenience. It's so nice to have them scan our Key to the World Card (KWC) and not have to mess with money. Some people prebuy a gift card and use that to pay. A viable option, but because of our number two, it doesn't work for us.
- Budget. If we were paying for meals out of pocket, or even on a prepaid gift card, we'd have to constantly budget making sure we weren't spending too much. Which also means, instead of trying new things, I'd most likely choose whatever is cheapest. Not to mention, if we were paying out of pocket, we would have to select just a couple of restaurants to try. The rest of the time we'd have to eat quick-service meals. Which quick-service meals are fine - we just enjoy the experience of table service.
We are so thankful that Disney offered the DDP for FREE while we are there. Last time we went, we received a room discount, which they were also offering this time. We chose to do the free dining. We paid for our vacation when we booked it. So when we added the free DDP, we had to upgrade to a moderate room (Such a sacrifice. Ha! :) ). Even upgrading, we still received money back. Which is always great!
So, now we are to the real point of this post (Maybe I missed my calling as a pastor with such long introductions...), where we are eating. After Disney 2011, we had a couple of restaurants that we knew we wanted to go back to. We also knew there were some that we did not. Without further ado, here is our dining plans:
- Saturday - 'Ohana - 5:15 pm - Party of 5
- Sunday - Tutto Italia - 6:00 pm - Party of 5
- Monday - 50's Prime Time Diner - 4:15 pm - Party of 10
- Tuesday - Be Our Guest - 4:10 pm - Party of 5
- Wednesday - Chef Mickey's - 7:10 am - Party of 9
Tommorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party - 8:00 pm - Party of 5
- Thursday - Cinderella's Royal Table - 12:20 pm - Party of 9
I'm really excited to try the new places and revisit our favorites. We've been to 'Ohana (our absolute favorite), the 50's, and Chef Mickey's before. The rest are all new. The Fireworks Dessert Party is not a part of the DDP. That is an extra cost, but one we are so excited to try! :)
As far as our quick-service meals go, we've got a few places picked out at each park. We aren't going to plan them though. We're traveling with a large group so who knows where we'll end up! :)
One new thing that I did this year that I didn't think to do in 2011 was printing menus. I went through and created a file for quick-service places (the ones that are on our list) and a file for our table service restaurants. I'm going to add it to my notebook so that we can be prepared when we get there. I plan on looking at the menus before we go and deciding what I want to eat. A lot of time with a kid, there is little time for me to dwaddle over the menu. I'm trying to be prepared y'all!
What are your favorite restaurants or places you can't wait to try?